Monday, August 3, 2009

LAUGHING ALL THE WAY!

I’ve heard that laughter is the best medicine, so I have directed all my family and friends to keep me laughing…and they have!

· Amy Gilstrap, a long time friend and my former assistant, told me that if I have reconstructive surgery with implants that I will float if I fall out of a boat. True. You never know when you might fall out of a boat—and I like to be prepared!

· All too many “friends” tell me that when I start chemo I won’t have to worry about ‘bad hair days!’ Only a friend with a head full of hair would say that, of course!

· My son John called me one day to say, “Hey, Mom. Is there anything you want to get off your chest?” Did I ever raise a smart ass kid!

· My co-workers at the AFCA all showed up one day wearing buttons they purchased from a breast cancer awareness website that read “Save the Ta-Tas!” Never a dull moment at the office, that’s for sure!

THE HAIR AFFAIR

The thought of losing my hair because of the chemotherapy is not making me happy, but I don’t have a choice. Once again, my friends come to my rescue! Long-time friend and hairdresser, Dianne Balderrama, cut my hair shorter so I can ‘ease’ into the no-hair stage. The cry-baby came out for a minute or two. Everyone was very complimentary when I showed up at work with my new short-term do. I’ll get through this!!
A few days later, it was off to the wig shop. I picked out a couple but wanted some opinions. Enter friends Linda Pulliam, Donnis Cowan, and Dianne (with two bottles of wine in hand!). This wig shop will never be the same!

We all tried on wigs and had lots of laughs. I picked up a gray wig (to try the style…not the color) and an elderly lady sitting at another mirror got up out of her chair, leaned on her walker to get a better look then said (very loudly), “No way, girl. That gray hair ain’t for you!” Yes, but is NO HAIR better than gray?

Dianne, Linda, Donnis and me…we all go blonde!

1 comment:

  1. The blonde pics are awesome and hilarious all at the same time! What a FUN way to try a new hairstyle. Haven't all of us brunettes always thought about being a blonde at some point? This might be your chance to give it a whirl! I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete