Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dancing in the Rain

THE FUTURE – After my fourth cycle of chemo, I’ll have another mammogram or ultrasound. Then, I will see the surgeon (Dr. T) to evaluate the result and decide on the course of action (lumpectomy or mastectomy). If the lumps in my right breast (the good one) have changed, it will indicate the possibility of some cancer and a double mastectomy will probably be my best option. Radiation will be necessary after my surgery and will consist of 24-35 treatments.

CHEMO PLUS 10 DAYS - I feel much better. The second week my energy level increased and I almost felt like my old self again. There were a few times when I would experience a sudden pain, but it was only for a minute and I reminded myself that it was the chemo blasting at The Thing. Everyone has been so supportive. I have beautiful flowers and plants in my office and home to keep me smiling and I receive cards and emails daily. Thank you all for your concern and support and prayers. These acts of kindness are received with tremendous gratitude. I feel so fortunate that I was diagnosed in this day and age when the advances in medical diagnostics and treatments are so advanced. My treatments have been virtually painless. That makes the ‘cry baby’ in me very happy. I’m not about having pain! Cheri Shrader shared a quote with me that is all about where I am right now: “Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but it's learning how to dance in the rain". Happy dancing!”

CHEMO #1 PLUS ONE WEEK - Dr. P and I had a great discussion. Regarding diet, he said ‘use common sense’ but be careful with lettuce. Soak it for 30-40 minutes in vinegar before eating. About the hot flashes, he said the chemo put me into menopause and, even though my ovaries were removed years ago, I still produce some estrogen. He thinks the flashes will get better. I HOPE SO! Dr. Patel said manicures and pedicures (I love them!) are okay long as it is just a ‘massaging procedure’ with no clipping or cutting of the skin. The soreness of my gums is caused by the Nulasta shot and that’s that. In other words, “Deal with it, Janet!” I am okay to travel as long as I feel strong enough and it does not interfere with my chemo routine.

CHEMO 2 - Eek! I started to lose my hair--and I do not like it one bit. I don't want to advertise what it looks like now, but I am heading for the buzz cut very soon. Then I will share a picture of me with a wig.

2 comments:

  1. Love your outlook, believe that is half the battle. Still praying, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what a great way to share your journey. I think about you often and keep you in my prayers. The last time I saw you, I told you it's all about mind over matter...and you've got a strong mind going in the right direction. You have a wonderful support system, too. Hang in there. Love, Kathy B

    ReplyDelete