Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I AM BACK!


It was time to get back to work on a parttime basis. Vince Thompson (in the photo) was the tall guy recruited to put the sign on omy door. What a fun greeting! It’s slow go as I get back into the swing of things. Health-wise, I feel very good, but still tire easily. My body is now in ‘puberty’ based on the size of my slowly expanding temporary implants. I actually have a little cleavage…which may be too much information for some blog readers, but it is a very important issue to me!

My mind, as well as my days, are busy thinking of the two major events happening over the next few months. The American Football Coaches Foundation CEO Coach of the Year Dinner in New York City on December 14 and the 2010 American Football Coaches Association Convention where I will be January 4-16, 2010. There are so many details to each event. I have planned and managed the NYC event since its inception but am trying to learn all I can about planning and managing the convention since I have been given the new job as AFCA’s Director of Special Events. All of this is exciting…if I had not been out of the office so much. Right now it is a big overwhelming…but I can handle anything after dealing with the THING.

I continue to receive your calls, emails, gifts, and prayers. Thank you all for your support. It would have been very difficult to get through these months without your on-going support!

If you know of anyone that has been diagnosed with a ‘THING,’ I hope you will share this blog with them. Let them know there is a strong need for humor in their lives--especially during this time--and that you can get through it. Maybe my story can help someone else. I am so blessed to be able to say I am a BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR!!

THE SUSAN G. KOMEN RACE FOR THE CURE


Two very special people dedicated their respective runs to my honor in the recent Susan G. Komen Race for the cure. In Orlando, Florida, Diana Stillwell (daughter of my friend and co-worker Sandi Atkinson) ran her personal best and told me that I was her inspiration near the end when the going got tough. Layne Pittman (daughter of AFCA Executive Director Grant Teaff and wife, Donell) ran the SGK in Austin, Texas. Photos of Diana (in pink) and Layne (with her breast cancer survivor friend, Kathi) are below. Thank you both for remembering me during the race. I am so proud of what you are doing to raise awareness about breast cancer and raising funds for research to find a cure. YOU GALS ROCK!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,

    Sorry it took so long for me to contact you, but after going through the Thing with my mother I just wasn't sure I could go through it again. Even though it was a long time ago. But after reading your journey I am sorry I waited. I am so excited to see you are doing great and even back to work partime.

    I wish and pray for continued health, happiness, and fun!

    Mel...your old Marathon friend,

    ReplyDelete